Tuesday, February 26, 2008

THERE'S A SERIAL KILLER ON THE LOOSE...

...and he's killing off all of our livestock. Thus far we've lost a rooster and two hens. The latest victim was Othello, mom's dove. I was out taking a few photos of Riley one afternoon, and as we came up on the back porch for a bit I realized Othello wasn't going crazy and cooing in his cage. I'm sure it had something to do with the fact that something had grabbed him, pulled his head through the bars of his cage and then ate it. That's the killer's MO. He takes heads. He didn't actually kill the two hens. They put up one heckuva fight and kept their heads, but just barely. My brother, Adam, had to put them out of their misery, the poor girls. It was all very traumatic, and I think we all shed a few tears over the horror of it all. I've been told the killer is most likely a hawk. I hope Ducky is okay...I haven't seen her in a while.
This picture is in memory of dear old Othello. He was a pain in the &%$ while he was here (with his incessant cooing), but I miss him now that he's gone.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amanda said...

Ahh poor things! I hope there is something that can be done so he doesn't strike again.

Cassandra said...

You *finally* update you blog... and with THIS?????? UGHHH Amy! That hurts my heart! Poor things! I hope you and Riley are well. We are going to plan another crop this summer-- I want to meet you!

Judy said...

Yep, that's the MO of a hawk..head first! So sorry about the little winged friends...I love birds too.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Stephanie said...

Poor birds...glad to see you are back though even if it is on a sad note.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your families loss. Just praise God for allowing you to share them in your life. We are blessed with friendship when we care for any of God's creatures.